LEFT WINGERS AND GREENS OF THE WORLD UNITE: Paul Halas
Over the past few years we’ve seen a trend in which the Labour Party has become Greener and the Green Party has become “Leftier”. I fervently wish for further rapprochement.
While feeling despair at the head-in-sand attitudes and empty rhetoric in much of Westminster, Whitehall and the City – especially the City – I was enthralled by a presentation given in my constituency of Stroud last month by Alan Simpson, Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell’s advisor on climate change and sustainable economics. If anyone is unfamiliar with his policy ideas, I urge them to look him up and read these essays.
A future Labour government will do its utmost to adopt Simpson’s plans, which include:
- local renewal energy cooperatives,
- an agricultural policy reset to penalise high greenhouse gas emissions,
- a far more locally-based economy (community wealth building – thriving in many locations and now to be adopted in Stroud),
- a far more integrated, publicly-owned transport system…
- and of course real measures to curb tax “avoidance” by the heavyweight national and global corporations, and tackle our hideous income inequality.
- First and foremost though – greenhouse emissions must be HALVED every ten years.
We should all be taking notice of the wonderful Greta Thunberg’s message
Real change can’t come too soon, and the only way we’re ever going to see real change in the UK is to put a Labour/Green government? into power at the earliest possible opportunity.
I can’t see how diluting the non-Conservative vote at the next general election is going to achieve anything except more Tory-led acceleration to destruction.
I realise some will find their tribal loyalties tested – but the nightmare we’ve created transcends such petty concerns.
Posted on October 21, 2019, in Agriculture, Climate change, Economy, Energy, Environment, Transport and tagged Alan Simpson, co-operatives community wealth building, community wealth building, greenhouse emissions, Greta Thunberg, Jeremy Corbyn, John McDonnell, Labour government, Labour/Green government. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.